Media in Cooperation and Transition
Brunnenstraße 9, 10119 Berlin, Germany

Our other projects

Between justice and tradition

Zafar Shah Rouyee
Farkhunda's lynching deepens a historic rift between Afghanistan's modernist and traditionalist currents.
2.04.2015  |  Kabul
Civic activists demonstrate in Kabul on March 23, four days after Farkhunda's death. The 27-year-old woman's murder has led to clashes between Afghan civic society actors and religious authorities.
Civic activists demonstrate in Kabul on March 23, four days after Farkhunda's death. The 27-year-old woman's murder has led to clashes between Afghan civic society actors and religious authorities.

The murder of Farkhunda, a 27-year-old woman who was lynched and beaten to death by an angry mob in the heart of Kabul last month, has exacerbated simmering tensions between Afghanistan's religious bodies and an emergent class of young, reform-minded civic activists.

 Farkhunda, who has since labelled a modernist, was attacked by a group of men after her verbal spat with a mullah at central Kabul's Shah-e-Do Shamshira Mosque, who accused her of burning the Qur'an. Some religious authorities have refused to denounce her murder, spawning a clash between the country's traditionalists and civic society actors.

 On March 22, three days after her death, a group of women carried Farkhunda's coffin to the cemetery. It was an unprecedented move, as local tradition prohibits women from performing this task. Activists also prohibited Muhammd Ayaz Niazi, who heads one of Kabul's most significant mosques, from participating in the funeral. 

 A day after Farkhunda was murdered, Niazi made a controversial plea for the release of the men arrested in connection with the lynching. “When the Qur'an, the holiest book of the people, is insulted, people do not have to ask whether the accused is sick," Niazi had said during Friday prayers. "It is a huge mistake. If you arrest people, they will revolt. It will be difficult to control them.”

 Niazi, one of Afghanistan's leading clerics, has since rescinded his statements and condemned Farkhunda’s murder in a belated effort to defuse rising tensions in the streets. Gathering at the spot where Farkhunda was killed, a group of clerics demonstrated against the insulting of Islam by civic activists. They also accused the west of fomenting social tensions by using civil society to create an environment of distrust between the people and religious authorities. 

 Tensions between modernists and traditionalists in Afghanistan date back to the rule of King Amanullah, who faced staunch opposition while attempting to implement progressive policies after the country gained independence in 1919. When Queen Thuraya, his wife, emerged in Kabul without hejab after a trip to Europe and encouraged all Afghan women to follow her example, her action became a weapon in the hands of religious authorities who had broad public support. 

 Experts say Farkhunda's case reignites this nearly century-old dispute. In an editorial for Hasht-e Subh, author Saleem Azad noted that some religious authorities equate opposition to Farkhunda’s murder to opposition to Islam. He advised modernists to heed the opinions of the ulama, who still wield significant political sway in Afghanistan. 

 Aslam Jawadi, another Afghan writer, editorialized in Jamay-e-Baz Daily that religion has lost its power to reform and enhance morality. Instead, it has become destructive. “History has shown that limiting religious authorities and institutions is possible in a society, but removing them is impossible," he continued. "The vacuum created by the absence of religious authorities and institutions would lead to an environment where secularism would flourish, with less impediment to development.”

 A people divided

 The growing polarisation of the two camps is also evident in the public reactions to the actions of Niazi, the prominent Kabul cleric who stood up for Farkhunda's killers. Attacked by civic activists and vehemently defended by traditionalist social media users, Niazi has been avoiding public appearances and has been reluctant to address journalist queries about Farkhunda’s murder. 

 Atta Mohammad Noor, the governor of Balkh province, expressed his support for Niazi in a statement on his official Facebook page. He condemned the murder and urged civil society to “use wisdom instead of emotions and avoid being anti-Islamic for the sake of justice." He also warned that, "If anti-Islamists use this opportunity to insult Islam, they should be aware that there will be firm and wise reactions on the part of Muslims.”

 "Religious authorities want civility, but unfortunately, some civil society activists use some pretexts to work against religious values," Enayatullah Baleegh, a member of Ulama Council of Afghanistan and head of Pul-e-Kheshti Mosque in Kabul told Afghanistan Today. “We do not want the civil society to be shut down, but we urge the government of Afghanistan to stop those who use civil society to work against religious values.”

 Meanwhile, Amrullah Saleh, the former director of Afghanistan National Directorate of Security and head of the Afghan Green Movement, advised the ulama not to label Muslims based on how they look. “Afghan religious authorities should consider themselves part of civil society. It is not a foreign non-governmental organization, an office, an individual person or a governmental official. It does not have a leader or an organizational structure. It is a name for anyone who uses civil means for justice when needed. Religious authorities are civil society unless they unknowingly call themselves uncivil. It is important for them to think about this. They should not distance themselves from civility.”

President Ghani had tasked a committee to investigate the incident and the committee reported its finding to the President on April 2. The committee has so far stated that Farkhunda did not burn the holy manuscript nor was she mentally disabled.The president tasked the attorney general to complete the procedure for the trial of those who have been arrested in connection to the lynching within a week of the committee reporting their first findings.